My Blog List

Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

Making Movies

    Today, I taped each boy as they showed me their Toy Theatre and their Famous American Puppets. They did better than I expected. I have a couple of hams in the group. Put them in front of a camera and they blossom. You know how difficult it is to find a quiet, out of the way spot in an elementary school? Then, yesterday, my wonderful assistant principal suggested that I use the school psychologist's office. It was the ideal space for all, except for one, the oldest fifth grader. He has a fear about going into the Nurse's office and we had to go through it to get to the psychologist's office. No way.....that was not going to happen. I took him into the maintenance office and we began, despite the echolalic yells, etc. What really annoyed me was this, there we were trying to film and we were interrupted 4 different times. Now, I really wonder if this had been a typical boy working a video project, would they have noticed the camera and backed out? But none of them did......they weren't emergencies, one lady was just writing some name on a dvd. It was very distracting to my student. I only hope I can fashion something decent when I download the film tomorrow and begin editing.

    Amazingly, for the one boy who was absent, I went by his house and filmed him afterschool. Though he is very quiet, he recognized all five historical people! They listen even when you don't think they do.

No comments: